IN 2016 THE INTERNATIONAL DAY OF FORESTS WAS CELEBRATED SUCCESSFULLY WITH LAUNCHING OF HISTORICAL EVENTS FOR DEPARTMENT OF FORESTS SECTOR
The statement, “Forest, land and people are inseparably linked” is a statement that one cannot deny. The culture, custom, livelihood and well being of the people in Vanuatu are hinged on the forests resources and forests ecosystems. Forests and trees has continued to provide a range of goods and services, some of which are clean water and clean air, soil fertility and stability, medicine, food, shelter, building materials, fuel-wood and a source of income.
The launching of the historical annual events include:-
a. International Day of Forests to be held on 21st March.
b. National Tree Planting day on 21st June
c. National Forestry Week .on 21st – 27th August
UPDATES ON THE EVENTS BY YEAR
1. National Forest Events include the International Day of Forests seen highlights and commemorations of the day with tree planting as the major activity nation wide reflecting the “Theme” on “Forests and Water”.
2. National Tree Planting day on 21st June, 2016 was celebrated successfully and had recorded a total of 24,000 plus seedlings planted across the country.
3. During the National Forestry Week which was celebrated from 21st to 26th August, it was a week long celebrations, earmarked as another remarkable event with a “Theme” on “Creative People, Productive Forests”. The forest industries, carvers and handicrafts associations displayed their valuable forest products at the French Embassy.and was witnessed by hundreds and hundreds of people residing in Port Vila.
1. International Day of Forests was also commemorated with tree plantings activity as the main highlights throughout Vanuatu. In Port Vila, the Department of Forests organized it in a very unique way in collaboration with the Prime Minister’s Office, Public Service Commission, and forestry stakeholders were invited to celebrate the day at the Prime Minister’s Office. The Prime Minister and the other officials took part in planting a seedling at the Prime Minister’s premises and at the same time beautifying it with a few endemic species of Vanuatu.
2. UPCOMING EVENT IS “NATIONAL TREE PLANTING DAY” ON 21st JUNE, 2018.
For your information about this upcoming event, the Department of Forests will use any available forms of media tools to promote the event. You can be updated through the weekly radio program (Insaed long bus program) on Wednesdays evening at 8.00 to 8.30pm and Paradise FM by Radio Vanuatu or TBV.
3. THIRD UPCOMING EVENT IS THE NATIONAL FORESTRY WEEK FROM 21ST TO 27TH AUGUST 2018. The main theme for 2018 is “Creating sustainable future”.
Please check out for more information on social media (Department of Forests facebook page), radio Vanuatu(Insaed long bus prokram, Talkback shows and on Paradise FM) and also on print(Daily post). Please click on below to download the National Forestry Week final program for 2018.